Is Happiness a State of Mind?

By Sylvia Behnish

If activities make us happier then it makes sense that doing ones that make us feel creative, worthwhile, productive, unselfish and helpful would be good ones to choose.

Another survey, released by the University of Michigan states that global happiness is on the rise in part due to democratization, economic growth and social tolerance. Research also indicates that keeping up with the Jones's is not a recipe for contentment. It stated that Americans earning more than $10 million annually are only slightly happier than the average American.

According to further research babies are born either happy or cranky. As a parent of five children and grandparent of seven children, I believe strongly that each one is born with a very well established personality. It does not seem to have anything to do with what their parents have in the way of material possessions, how much money the family earns or how many outfits the baby has. The theory is that as long as he/she is well-fed, warm and is given lots of love, they will be happy. But interestingly, even the well-fed and well-loved ones can be cranky.

I believe that if a person is comfortable and has all of their basic needs met, they should be content; especially if they appreciate their life as it is, and are grateful each day for the good things in their life. Contentment is an attitude and especially if one focuses on the positive instead of the negative things in our lives.

If people are looking for a deliriously happy feeling, they will be disappointed. The feeling of contentment, which I believe equals happiness, is a feeling of well-being and can be ours if we are positive and don't crave what we don't have and probably don't need.

I have no huge desire to have expensive furniture or a fancier house. If I had, I may be worried about my grandchildren ruining something and then they would not feel welcome and may no longer think of me as a fun grandparent.

I also am quite satisfied with the car I have where I don't have to worry about what my grandchildren might do to suede or leather upholstery. And if I purchased expensive clothes, would I want to burp a baby, feed a toddler or cuddle a sticky child who has just finished eating an ice cream cone? Or would I want to hug a child who has chocolate on his face when he runs happily to greet me? Would I enjoy life more if I spent half of it away from the most important people in the world to me?

Happiness for me is being content, satisfied, and appreciative of what I have. In my contentment and happiness, I couldn't ask for more than I already have. For most of us, happiness can be a reality.

Sylvia Behnish has recently published her first non-fiction novel entitled "Rollercoaster Ride With Brain Injury (For Loved Ones)" and her first fiction book entitled "His Sins", a three generation family saga. She has also had numerous articles published in newspapers and magazines in both Canada and the United States on subjects relating to brain injuries, motivational topics, family issues and travel.

Sylvia has a very active lifestyle which includes her large family, writing, photography, gardening, reading and time spent enjoying and exploring nature.

Order "Rollercoaster Ride With Brain Injury (For Loved Ones)" and "His Sins" by e-mail at: orders@trafford.com

Website: http://www.talesbysylvia.com
Blog: http://www.sbehnish.blogspot.com
Article Source: http://EzineArticles.com/?expert=Sylvia_Behnish

3 comments:

  1. I am pleased with your outlook, Ms. Behnish. I do have similar viewpoint. I added something too. Few things are really all that suffice.

    Thanks for sharing.

    Kanaka'a

    ReplyDelete
  2. In my opinion happiness comes from choosing to focus on the blessings in your life instead of the things you lack or want.
    Everyone can choose happiness. Being unhappy is actually a lot of work. It's much easier to choose happiness as it's our natural state of being.

    Thanks
    Roland

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have found that I experienced happiness in the worst of circumstances, so I don't believe circumstances determine happiness. I have also experience that happiness can be experienced through the practice of happy actions, and practising them mindfully. Actions such a enjoying a cup of coffee to deliberately laughing for no reason have brought me contentment and happiness. Through sprinkling the day with happy actions the entire day become happier.

    ReplyDelete

ShareThis